Kane County Legal Separation Attorney
Geneva, Illinois Divorce and Family Law Lawyer
Separating from a spouse or partner can be tough. Anytime you are entangled in a serious legal matter with another family member, the accusations, the personal challenges, and the weeks or even months of legal haggling can be emotionally overwhelming. If you are planning to separate from your mate, or are party to a legal separation, an experienced, compassionate, and proactive legal separation attorney by your side is essential. Douglas B. Warlick is a family law attorney dedicated and committed to the kind of legal advocacy and skilled representation that gets the best possible results for our clients involved in legal separation cases. Since 1981, our firm has been working with separation and divorce clients across Illinois, in St. Charles, Elgin, Batavia, Aurora, Naperville, Oswego, Yorkville, and throughout DuPage County.
Legal Separation in DuPage and Kane Counties
Illinois is one of the states where legal separations are recognized, though they are not often sought. Under State law (750 ILCS 5/402), you do not have to have grounds for a separation. Most cases of legal separation are pursued to:
- Establish custody while the process of divorce unfolds;
- Accommodate maintenance or child support while the end-goal of divorce is pursued;
- Provide for the continuance of health coverage on the plan of one or other spouse;
- Allow a party to the marriage to remain married to accommodate religious beliefs that disapprove divorce; or
- Give a couple contemplating divorce a trial period of living apart while divorce is considered.
In legal separation cases, the State provides that:
- Applications for separation should be made in county of residence of the applicant or the county where the parties resided together;
- Applicants must maintain State residency for at least 90 days;
- Child custody can be set for children with a minimum of 6 months residency in the State; and
- Some maintenance (alimony), child custody, child support, and division of property may be assigned.
A Supportive and Effective Lawyer Is Just a Call Away
Attorney Douglas B. Warlick will take your legal process with a sensitive ear and commitment to working diligently on your behalf. Our goal is to get you the best possible outcomes in your separation case. Since most separations ultimately lead to divorce, working with our law firm during your separation will allow for a continuity of legal service and a more expeditious process if a divorce filling should ensue. Through every stage of your case we will work to anticipate the impediments to an expeditious, legally sound, and cost effective case conclusion.
Contact our office at 630-232-9700. We provide discounted rates for an initial consultation. From our Geneva office we can accommodate clients throughout Illinois. Our best compliment are the continued referrals we receive from former clients whose cases we have handled.