Escaping Domestic Abuse

Posted on in Domestic Violence

domestic abuse IMAGEIt’s an uncomfortable topic to discuss, but domestic violence is all around us, and happens more frequently than we would like to think. Domestic violence or abuse exists in all races, age groups, socioeconomic groups, and genders. However, there are ways to escape domestic abuse and find safety.

It’s important to note that getting out of an abusive relationship is not always easy. Both the hope that things will eventually work out and the fear of what the partner will do if the victim tries to leave can be difficult to overcome. Many people in abusive relationships feel trapped and helpless, but there are many resources available to help.

If you do decide to leave your abusive partner, there are a few things you want to make sure to take with you, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Money, checkbook, credit cards, ATM cards;
  • Identification;
  • Keys for car, house, and work;
  • Change of clothing;
  • Medical records;
  • Important papers (divorce papers, school records, lease, rental agreement or house deed, etc.).

The most effective way to escape an abusive or violent relationship is to obtain an Order of Protection. An Order of Protection is a legal order from a judge that includes “remedies” which order the abuser to take certain actions or prohibits certain actions. Under the Order of Protection, the abuser can be arrested for violating certain remedies.

There are a few different ways to obtain an Order of Protection. You can contact a local domestic violence program, go to the nearest circuit clerk’s office, or ask an attorney to file a petition in civil court.

No matter what the situation is, there are ways to free yourself from an abusive or violent relationship. If you or someone you know is being abused by a partner, don’t hesitate to reach out to an Illinois family law attorney for assistance filing for an Order of Protection.

Recent Blog Posts



Talk to an attorney now. Call 630-232-9700.
For faster response to after-hours inquiries, please   email us.