Illinois Divorce Statistics

Posted on in Divorce

We all strive to be unique individuals – to leave our mark on the world like no one else means so much. It can be through a career, sport, volunteering, marital status and or even being a parent. No one wants to be a number.

Marriage has always been about two people coming together and sharing a life together through children, spending time together, date nights, vacations, laughing and going through good and hard times together. Never does one think it will end.

Statistics speak volumes. In our country alone the U.S. Bureau of the Census reported there were 2.3 million marriages and 1.2 million divorces in 2005. About 9.9% of adults in the U.S. are divorced – meaning 20 million Americans have parted ways for differing reasons. When one sees a 50% divorce rate, it makes one think what is the point? Even after one failed marriage (40% fail), trying again and again does NOT improve your chances for success; even if you think you learned all the mistakes the first time around. Second marriages have a 60% rate of divorce and third marriages end 73% of the time! People still have hope though, as 75% do remarry.

Length of marriage does not guarantee success, as it is said that only about 25% of marriages will still be a happy marriage after 10 years! Investing that amount of time seems like the return on investment would be greater. What is it that makes couples unhappy? Is it unmet expectations? Is it infidelity? Is it growing up? What really is it? It differs for couples across the board, however, the key thing is that marriage isn’t easy and takes a lot of work.

Within the parameters of divorce is the most crucial and affected persons – children. Over one million children yearly are affected by divorce. These statistics are alarming as the home needs to be the most stable place in a child’s life in order for him/her to be a successful, healthy, productive adult. What happens to these children as they grow up and attempt their own relationships and parenting skills?

If you are in a dilemma asking these types of questions, contact a lawyer in the Illinois area. A skilled divorce attorney who understands how to look out for your best interests is key to ensuring you are moving in the right direction.

Recent Blog Posts



Talk to an attorney now. Call 630-232-9700.
For faster response to after-hours inquiries, please   email us.