Struggling to Make Your Child Support Payments?

Posted on in Child Custody and Support

Kane County family law attorneyAs a divorced, separated, or unmarried parent, you undoubtedly understand the importance of providing financial support for your child, particularly if you have not been granted primary residential parental responsibilities. Of course, there is much more to being a parent than paying child support, but when you are having trouble making your obligated payments, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Fortunately, there are some steps you can take when meeting your obligations becomes impossible, and an experienced family lawyer can help.

Requesting a Modification

Child support orders in Illinois are generally based on the paying parent’s income and the number of children being supported. Therefore, if your income or ability to generate income changes substantially, you can request a modification to your support order. You will need to show that there has been a significant change in your circumstances, but if the court approves your request, your order can be amended to reflect your current situation.

Reasons Make a Difference

Before you take action, you will need to fully understand why you are struggling to make your child support payments. Is it because of your own actions or lack of action? Or, is it due to circumstances beyond your control? For example, if you are having trouble making payments because you broke the rules at work and got fired, your options for relief may be relatively limited. On the other hand, if you lost your job because your company suddenly closed and you are trying to find work, a court is likely to be more sympathetic.

Good Faith Efforts

While your request for a modification is pending, it is important that you continue making every effort to comply with your existing order. Keep careful records of all your income and expenses, prioritizing your child support obligations as best you can. Your efforts will demonstrate to the court that you are serious about your responsibilities and that you are not simply trying to get out of paying child support.

Getting Back on Your Feet

Keep in mind that if a modification is approved and your order is amended, it will need to be addressed again when you find a new job. You should expect another modification in the future so that your child receives the appropriate support to which he or she is entitled by law.

If you have additional questions about child support order modifications in Illinois, contact an experienced Geneva family law attorney for answers. Call 630-232-9700 for a confidential consultation at The Law Offices of Douglas B. Warlick & Associates today.



Recent Blog Posts



Talk to an attorney now. Call 630-232-9700.
For faster response to after-hours inquiries, please   email us.