Wisconsin Sheriff’s Department Offers Innovative Visitation Exchange Point

 Posted on December 00, 0000 in Child Custody and Support

Illinois residents may be interested to know about an innovative program that law enforcement officials have developed just to their north in one Wisconsin county. All too often, the exchanges of children between divorced or separated parents for visitation purposes can become heated, bitter exchanges, particularly when the parties currently are embroiled in a heated custody battle or other court proceedings. As a result, the local police station is often the suggested meeting place to exchange the children for each parent’s designated visitation time, with the hope that a public place with law enforcement authorities present will both give the parents a sense of security and help calm the situation. Nonetheless, this strategy doesn’t always work to defuse the situation.

In Brown County, Wisconsin, the Sheriff’s Department decided to designate two parking spaces in their parking lot, on either side of a neutral zone, where parents can safely and easily exchange their children at the appropriate times. The children can move from one car to the other without fear of encountering traffic or the roadway, and all visitation exchanges take place under video surveillance by the Sheriff’s Department, a factor which may compel parents to act more reasonably during the exchanges. If this new program proves successful, the Sheriff’s Department hopes to offer an additional visitation exchange spot on the west side of Brown County, as well.

Unfortunately, contentious custody or visitation proceedings can make visitation exchanges a stressful occurrence for all parties involved, but particularly for the children who are the subjects of the proceedings. Innovative visitation exchange points may help remedy these situations and make them easier for everyone.

If you are experiencing difficulties with custody or visitation, an experienced Kane County family law attorney can help. For a consultation regarding your situation contact our office today.

Share this post:

Recent Blog Posts



Talk to an attorney now. Call 630-232-9700.
For faster response to after-hours inquiries, please   email us.